Mouth ulcers are either an open sore, grown on the inner mouth side or a cut in the mucous membrane of the mouth having around and small appearance. They can cause serious pain and can really obstruct your oral activities. Even a study conducted in the UK says that one in five adults and five to 10 percent of children suffer from persistent mouth ulcers.
There are two main types of ulcers: aphthous and cold sores. Whenever you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned types, certain foods like pepper can lead to severe pain. Usually, they come in crops of three or four and can generally last for a few days or even a week. A number of individuals experience them regularly, while others may just dig up the occasional ulcer once in a year.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcer causes uneasiness and makes it problematic to consume food or a beverage.
- Accidental bites
- Constant stress
- Hereditary factors
- Teeth brushing lesions
- Precarious oral hygiene
- Irritations provoked by antiseptics
- Infection of the herpes simplex virus
- Digestive problems such as constipation
- Irritation by some chemicals, tobacco, and alcohol
- Hormonal imbalances, especially during puberty in girls
- Vitamin deficiency of Iron, Vitamin B 12 and/or Vitamin C
- Burned areas provoked by swallowing hot aliments or liquids
- Constant frictions between sharp teeth and jaws or an orthodontic bracelet
- Some other diseases like tuberculosis, AIDS, diabetes or intestinal inflammatory diseases
Home Remedies of Mouth Ulcers
- Avoid having spicy food, hard drinks like tea, coffee, and other aerated drinks when you have a mouth ulcer. Instead, opt for fresh juices. Cranberry juice is said to help in getting rid of ulcers. Try having cranberry juice after every meal.
- This beneficial remedy is made by adding a large pinch of turmeric powder in one teaspoon of glycerin. This paste should be applied over the hurt area.
- Apply honey or ghee frequently on your mouth ulcer. Let it stay for a while and then spit it out. Do this often and you will see your ulcer lessening.
- Ulcers occur because of Vitamin C deficiency, so fruit like orange can help meet the required needs. Also, you can consume mineral supplements for the same.
- Tulsi leaves have medicinal properties that can make ulcers cure sooner. Chew some tulsi leaves along with some warm water at least three times a day for it to cure.
- Castor oil is known to relieve heat from your body. If you get mouth ulcer often, apply castor oil in the affected area. It not only cures the ulcer but also helps in easing out the heat.
- One of the common home remedies for mouth ulcers is prepared by mixing coconut oil which has anti-bacterial properties with honey. This mixture can be applied to the ulcer numerous times a day. Coconut water and buttermilk will cool your body and help relieve the pain.